The Family

The Family

Play List


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Surgery Update...

It all started with a simple family vacation to float the Comal River... then a trip to the emergency room revealed a severe sprained ankle.  The doctor said it would take about six weeks to heal and that the knot on the side of my ankle was normal.  I continued to do the R.I.C.E method (rest, ice, compression and elevate) during this time.  Being on my feet all day teaching was hard; I would come home to a swollen and throbbing ankle every night.  I kept telling Russell something just wasn't right.
Just before Kelton aka "Bubba" was born Kim had hurt her foot (I won't explain how that happened just incase PEDA is reading HA HA HA).  She was given a short boot to help heal her foot and within 2-3 weeks her foot was better, we decided to give Kim's boot a try, 2 weeks later no change.  Then I found out Jane (Russell's mom) had fallen a broke her ankle.  The doctor she went to see was recommended highly so I made an appointment.  Dr Edwards then placed me in a taller boot for three more weeks.  After my three weeks were up I went back to see Dr. Edwards... my knot was gone and I wasn't swollen or feeling an pain (mostly because it was stationary for so long in the boot).  I looked as though the boot worked, until I asked him about this popping sound in my ankle.  "Not Good" come to find out I had a tendon that had come out of place and surgery was the only way to fix it....
Dr. Edwards told me that there would be two possible things happen but he didn't know which until after he got in to see what was going on: 1) deepen the grove the tendon belonged in by drilling into the bone then placing the tendon in to see if it holds... 2) if the tendon doesn't hold on it's own then two screws would have to be used to hold it in place... But once Dr. Edwards was able to open me up and take a look inside he found that my misplaced tendon was actually split in half.  He had to cut off the shorter part of the tendon and re-attach it (I have no clue right now if there are screws in my ankle I guess I'll find out at my next apt. on December 23rd).  I am off my foot for a while and I am so very lucky to have great family and friends to help me out.  Russell has been an angel and my mom a saint (she is finishing up the wrapping and cleaning of my house I wasn't able to finish).  I will keep every one updated.    

No comments:

Post a Comment